Saturday 29 May 2010

Degree Show Build Madness!!

So last week there marked the start of the build-a-thon that is degree show at the art school. I've never seen so many panicy 4th years throwing hammers at helpers, people being attacked by giant splinters and huge panels of chipboard plummetting from the sky arbitrarily. hehe, no that's an exaggeration but it can feel like that when you're in the middle of it all.

My fourth year was John Doak, video and installation artist from Greenock. He needed his own room built, which meant a lot of extra work on all of our parts. However, now that it's finished it looks magnificent and was well worth the effort. It is amazing to see how the school transforms from messy studio spaces occupied by 1st - 4th years, into a pristine looking and unified exhibition space housing only the work of 4th year students. It's crazy! The amount of work they have all produced is flabberghasting! Research, documentation, supporting works, degree show works, artist statements, supporting drawings etc. Madness!

And for 3rd years like myself this marks the beginning of a weird period in our lives. Where we are amazed and happy to help the fourth years, with the knowledge that after June, we will be the fourth years. That's a terrifying thought! How could art school have flown by so quickly? Why did I not work myself just that little bit harder!

But enough of that - it's making me anxious. One massive thing I have got to look forward to this summer is a residency at the Market Gallery, Glasgow for the month of June! Hooray! It's a fantastic opportunity and gives me the chance to work with some old favourites and people I've never met before so I'm certain it'll be fantastic. Pictures of the shenanigans will be posted when available! Wish me luck with it!

Cheerio for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment